Trauma cleaning is a specialised service that is often required after a major accident or incident in the workplace involving serious injury or death. This type of cleaning is typically performed by professionals such as Complete Environmental Services who have the necessary training and experience to handle blood and other biohazardous materials.
What types of accidents and incidents occur in workplaces that require a trauma clean specialist?
- Bodily fluid spills
- Blood spills
- Sharps injuries
- Chemical spills
- Biological hazards
What are the most common types of accidents?
The most common types of accidents in the workplace are:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Falls from Heights
- Struck by Objects
- Struck Against
- Repetitive Motion
Whilst not all of the above would require a trauma cleanup response, each type is explored in more detail below.
What is a motor vehicle accident in the workplace?
A motor vehicle accident in the workplace is when an employee is injured or killed in a crash involving a work-related vehicle. These accidents can happen while the employee is driving to or from work, or while they are on the job.
Some common causes of motor vehicle accidents in the workplace include:
- Driver fatigue or distraction
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Incorrect loading of cargo
- Poorly maintained vehicles
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
What are Slip and Falls in the workplace?
A Slip and Falls in the workplace is when an employee falls because they slipped on a wet or icy surface, or tripped on something in their path. These accidents can happen while the employee is walking to or from work, or while they are on the job.
Some common causes of Slip and Falls in the workplace include:
- Wet or icy surfaces
- Spills or debris on floors
- Uneven surfaces
- Poor lighting
- Clutter or obstacles in walkways
What are Falls from Heights in the workplace?
A fall from Height in the workplace is when an employee falls from a height that poses a danger to them. These accidents can happen while the employee is working at height, such as when using access platforms, stairs, ladders etc.
Some common causes of Falls from Heights in the workplace include:
- Working at height without proper safety gear
- Slip and falls from access platforms, ladders or scaffolds
- Falling objects
- Faulty equipment
- Unsafe work practices
What is electrocution in the workplace?
Electrocution can occur in the workplace and is when an employee is injured or killed by electric shock.
Typical causes of Electrocution in the workplace include:
- Coming into contact with live wires
- Using faulty electrical equipment
- Ignoring warning signs about electrical hazards
- Touching someone
What is Struck by Objects in the workplace?
Struck by Objects in the workplace is when an employee is injured or killed by being hit by a falling or moving object.
Some common causes of Struck by Objects in the workplace include:
- Falling objects
- Moving vehicles or equipment
- Dropped tools or materials
- Flying sparks or debris
- Hurled objects from explosions
- Collisions with vehicles or equipment
What is Overexertion in the workplace?
Overexertion in the workplace is when an employee becomes injured because they have overexerted themselves.
Causes of Overexertion in the workplace may include:
- Heavy lifting
- Carrying objects over long distances
- Repetitive motions
- Poor posture
- Excessive heat or cold
- Lifting heavy objects
- Carrying bulky items
- Twisting the body while lifting
- Repetitive motions
- Extended periods of standing or sitting
What is Entanglement in the workplace?
Entanglement in the workplace is when an employee becomes injured because they have become entangled in some way.
Some common causes of Entanglement in the workplace include:
- Getting caught in between objects or equipment such as gears, rollers etc.
- Being pulled into machinery
- Hair being caught in moving parts of machines
- Clothing getting caught in moving parts of machines
- Tripping over cords or wires
What is Repetitive Motion Injury?
A Repetitive Motion Injury is when an employee becomes injured because of repetitive motions that they perform at work.
Some common causes of Repetitive Motion Injury in the workplace include:
- Pushing or pulling heavy objects
- Grasping objects for extended periods of time
- Twisting the body while working
- Reaching for objects high above shoulder level
What is Violence in the workplace?
Violence in the workplace is when an employee is injured or killed as a result of violence.
Some common causes of Violence in the workplace include:
- Verbal abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual harassment
- Threats of violence or actual violence
While trauma cleaning may be a necessity in some workplaces, it can also be a difficult task. It’s important to remember that the safety of those who are performing the cleanup should always be a top priority. In order to ensure the safety of those involved, it is best to leave trauma cleaning to specialists.
Trauma cleaning can be a difficult task, so its critical to take every measure to ensure the safety of the cleaning team, wider public and other stakeholders.